Akron Canton Regional Airport (CAK)
History, Facts and Overview
(Canton, Ohio - OH, USA)
Founded during the Second World War, when the USA was keen to improve its defences, Akron Canton Airport was developed in the early 1940s at the cost of just over $2 million. A site in Summit County and strategically close to Canton was chosen and three runways constructed, each measuring around 1,700 metres / 5,575 feet in length.
The airport finally opened in 1946, serving just over 90,000 passengers in its first year, when it was named as the Canton Akron Memorial Airport. Soon after the airfield was renamed as the Akron Canton Massillon Airport.
Passenger services were fully operational by 1948 and a number of airlines had been attracted from the nearby Akron Municipal Airport, causing much local controversy. By the mid-1960s, passenger levels exceeded 200,000 per year and the 1980s saw investments of more than $70 million, to fund expansions and improvements. In 2006 and now officially known as the Akron Canton Airport (CAK), a new gate concourse was opened to celebrate the airport's 60th birthday.
The terminal at Akron Canton Airport features an ATM machine, free Wi-Fi Internet access throughout the building, computer workstations, a Traveline service center and a helpful information counter. There are four restaurants and bars spread around the terminal, along with a gift shop located in the newly opened atrium. The atrium itself features large windows, which provide plenty of natural light and overlook the airport runways. Akron Canton Airport's business and conference facilities are basic, so it is best to use one of the neighboring hotels, such as the Sheraton or Marriott, if you are planning a business event.